telnet problems in Ultrix 4.2

Clive Dawson clive at racine.ACA.MCC.COM
Fri Jun 28 18:30:15 AEST 1991

I just upgraded my 3100 to Ultrix 4.2 and immediately discovered
a very annoying problem with telnet.  Somebody has apparently
done us the "favor" of redefining several defaults.  For example,
CTRL-S, CTRL-Q, and CTRL-O no longer get passed through to
the remote host.  Emacs is rather crippled without these characters,
to say the least...

As can be seen with the "display" command, the new telnet has
many more special characters defined.  Some of them are supposedly
controlled by the toggling of the 'localchars' variable.  However
the "toggle localchars" command does NOT toggle.

In order to regain CTRL-S and CTRL-Q for my own use, I have to use
the commands "set start off" and "set stop off"...EVERYTIME I run
telnet.  Does anybody know how to make this the default?  It would
be convenient if telnet recognized a .telnetrc file, but this doesn't
appear to be the case.

I find it hard to believe that this piece of software was tested
at all.  And could it really be the case that somebody went in and
changed defaults without providing a mechanism for the user to
change them back?  Naaaaahh...!

Clive Dawson
MCC