telnet problems in Ultrix 4.2

Stefan Esser se at IKP.Uni-Koeln.DE
Fri Jun 28 23:20:34 AEST 1991

In article <3099 at racine.ACA.MCC.COM>, clive at racine.ACA.MCC.COM (Clive Dawson) writes:
|> I just upgraded my 3100 to Ultrix 4.2 and immediately discovered
|> a very annoying problem with telnet.  Somebody has apparently
|> done us the "favor" of redefining several defaults.  For example,
|> CTRL-S, CTRL-Q, and CTRL-O no longer get passed through to
|> the remote host.  Emacs is rather crippled without these characters,
|> to say the least...

That's about the same kind of improvement as seen in 'dd'.
DEC put in a 'multi volume' mode AND MADE IT THE DEFAULT !
That means that every single shell script for backup and other purposes
has to be changed (add a 'conv=nomulti' option) !
In the beginning there was data lost at this site because we didn't expect
such a silly default behaviour ...
There was recently a posting of csh scripts to copy distribution tapes.
Every call of 'dd' had this 'conv=nomulti', no single use without this
option added ...

Why did DEC make 'multi volume' the default behaviour ?
If I could *optionally* switch to multi volume mode by 'conv=multi'
everything were fine.
Is there a chance its changed back to be compatible with everybody else ?

Sometimes I get the impression that DEC is more interested in making
Ultrix VMS compatible (providing interfaces to VMS) than in keeping it
UNIX compatible ...

Stefan
--
 Stefan Esser,  Institute of Nuclear Physics,  University of Cologne,  Germany
 se at IKP.Uni-Koeln.DE                                           [134.95.192.50]