Ultrix 4.2

Ted Lemon mellon at nigiri.pa.dec.com
Wed Jun 19 04:28:04 AEST 1991

>Whats the scoop here?  Is it really not possible to buld the MIT server
>for Ultrix 4.2?

Anything is possible.   However, it won't build trivially.   You'd
probably have to be a pretty moby X server hacker to get it all
working with all the changes that have been made in Ultrix since X11R4
came out.   I believe that our changes will have been merged back in
by the time R5 comes out (but the X Consortium would have better
information on that, since they're the ones doing the release).

In the meantime, the servers for the DECstation [23]100, the Colour
Frame Buffer on the 5000, and the Monochrome Frame Buffer on the 5000,
are X11R4 servers, so the only reason for building the MIT server
is to get rid of the huge, clunky and useless Display Postscript
extension.   (Ooh, I'm going to get flamed for this! :')   If you make
sure not to use DPS, it should just stay swapped out anyway, so it
doesn't seem to be worth the extra effort to build a special server
without it.   Plus, the MIT server doesn't do multiscreen.

			       _MelloN_