Ultrix 4.2

George Robbins grr at cbmvax.commodore.com
Fri Jun 21 21:08:15 AEST 1991

In article <987 at lhdsy1.chevron.com> yzarn at lhdsy1.chevron.com (Philip Yzarn de Louraille) writes:

> >The X Window System specifications do not permit windows to be moved
> >across screens.  The DEC servers do not add additional restrictions.
>
> I stand corrected. But who wrote such simplistic requirements for the X
> Server?????

A bunch of clever people trying very hard to build a usable window system.

Please remember that the Mac multi-screen support is something of a jonny-
come-lately.  Maybe they had the advantage of seeing what X could do before
designing their multi-screen support, maybe their underlying software
architecture lent itself to it whereas X's didn't.

Don't let a single feature determine your view of the overall system.

[ BTW, I consider X to be a colossal joke grafted onto unix that is about
  180 degrees away from the software engineeering goals expressed by the
  early unix developers, but that doesn't stop me from using it and
  demanding that graphics applications be X based.  8-)                 ]
but no way officially representing:   domain: grr at cbmvax.commodore.com