Ultrix 4.2

George Robbins grr at cbmvax.commodore.com
Fri Jun 7 17:32:17 AEST 1991

In article <1560 at loki.une.oz.au> mark at loki.une.oz.au (Mark Garrett) writes:
> From article <933 at lhdsy1.chevron.com>, by yzarn at lhdsy1.chevron.com (Philip Yzarn de Louraille):
> > In article <1991Jun04.030107.25038 at decuac.dec.com> avolio at decuac.dec.com writes:
> >>In article <AJC.91Jun3174908 at thendara.pa.dec.com> ajc at thendara.pa.dec.com (AJ Casamento) writes:
> >
> > Yeah! But I wish it *were* an update! I want an update! Do you know how
> > much man-days we are going to spend to install 4.2 on all our machines??
> > Grrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!
> >
> 	Can anybody tell me whats so good about 4.2 that I should upgrade.
> I have 4.1 running quite nicely. It will take quite a lot of time to get things
> back to normal after an upgrade!

Well, see Appendix B of the release notes.  If you're really happy with 4.1 then
there is probably minimal reason to upgrade, with the most notable improvements
being (finally) the current MIPS C-compiler and X11R4 based servers.  On the
other hand, if you're like me and still running 3.1C and waiting/hoping for a
more gain than pain 4.X release then 4.2 looks pretty decent.

Overall, after scanning the release notes, it looks like a pretty nice release.
Some of the ancient bugs fixed, new hardware support, new facilities and some
rough edges trimmed off of the 4.x features.  It even looks liked they fixed
the > 8 groups NFS bug!

but no way officially representing:   domain: grr at cbmvax.commodore.com