ntpd halts clock on a DS3100 (?)

trost at reed.edu trost at reed.edu
Sat Jun 8 03:53:33 AEST 1991

In article <50136 at ut-emx.uucp>, jah at margo.ots.utexas.edu (Jeff Hayward) writes:
    In article <980 at imec.UUCP> elsen at imec.be (Marc Elsen) writes:
    >  The following has happened 2 times since : on 2 DIFFERENT decstation
    >  the clock seemingly halted !!
    >  That is subsequent date commands always showed the same frozen time !!!

    I've seen this behavior many times on my DS3100's running ultrix V4.0
    and the DEC-supplied ntpd.  I went to xntp, same results.  If anyone
    knows more about this I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Could this have anything to do with the mysterious clock-stopping
problem people were reporting for their DECstations?

(This is a little disturbing, since our central campus server is a
DS3100 as well...)

In any event, I suspect that a suitable workaround for the moment is
to add the line
    /usr/etc/ntp -s -f ...hosts named in /etc/ntp.conf...
to rc.local before ntpd gets started.