Ultrix 4.2

George Neville-Neil gnn at heisenberg.Berkeley.EDU
Mon Jun 24 15:46:40 AEST 1991

In article <991 at lhdsy1.chevron.com> yzarn at lhdsy1.chevron.com (Philip Yzarn de Louraille) writes:

>Apple has... (well, I'm not sure about the 32 bit double buffered 3D
>display with geometry pipe hardware, but because there are very hard
>cases does not mean that simpler ones cannot be implemented, especially
>if a vendor already has such software technology already out on the
>market.)

Apple has only one hardware platform to worry about which they spec
out themselves.  Even taking third party boards into account Apple
wrote the spec for how they would intereact with other components.
The X system runs on a lot of dissimilar hardware, a feat that is of
no little consequence.

>I am disappointed on the X server specs, and I am also disappointed by
>the speed (or lack of) it takes DEC to release the X11r4 servers. The
>specs for release 5 will be out soon, I guess we will see DEC release
>the X11r5 servers in 1993-4?

Well, since X was written circ. 1983 and was written to be machine
independant then one might expect to be dissapointed with a certain
servers performance on a certain machine.  Tuning an X server for a
specific platform takes a considerable amount of work.  Even if you
get the server Just Right for a Dec 3100 w/monochrome that server will
have to be tuned again when it is ported to a Dec 5000/200 w/color.

Well, just a thought in defense X :-)

Later,
George

--
George Neville-Neil      		Kinky is as kinky does.
gnn at mammoth.berkeley.edu

Life is like a sewer, you get out of it what you put into it.  -- T. Lehrer