Installing DEC-VT1300's and EWS

Philip Yzarn de Louraille yzarn at lhdsy1.chevron.com
Fri Jun 28 06:08:59 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun26.194427.24929 at leland.Stanford.EDU> vaf at Valinor.Stanford.EDU (Vince Fuller) writes:
>Hi. We just received the first of several DEC-VT1300 X-terminals and I have a couple of questions about installation and support of them:
>
>    1. Is it possible to support the VT1300's from a server system which does
>       not run DECNet at all?
>
>I would hope that the answer to #1 is "yes", but the references to the DECNet /etc/addnode and /etc/remnode utilities in the VAXELN documentation and in the /etc/ewsaddnode script suggest otherwise.

We evaluated the VT1300 and sent it back because even though it did not
use DECnet for communications (we were using TCP/IP instead), DECnet
"had" to be around because the installation uses the DECnet database and
naming convention (no more than 6 characters for the names, etc...)
  Philip Yzarn de Louraille                 Internet: yzarn at chevron.com
  Research Support Division                 Unix & Open Systems
  Chevron Information & Technology Co.      Tel: (213) 694-9232
  P.O. Box 446, La Habra, CA 90633-0446     Fax: (213) 694-7709