DECwindows Session manager (was: Re: Ultrix 4.2)

Dirk Grunwald grunwald at foobar.colorado.edu
Thu Jun 27 14:46:21 AEST 1991

re: not running DEC session manager

I used to use 'xdm' and simply commented out the line in /etc/ttys,
but that left a (to me) useless xdm process running on my machine.  I
don't mind the xpompter login because I don't login in very often (I
stay logged in for > 2 weeks usually).

Also, I didn't want to figure out *yet another* way of starting up X.
'xinit', 'xdm' and DEC's xsession all look in different
.Xdefault/.xinit, etc files.

So, I added this to /etc/ttys:

:0 "/usr/bin/login -P /usr/bin/Xprompter -C /usr/local/lib/X11/xdm/Xsession.xprompter" none on secure window="/usr/bin/Xmfb" -fd 75 c 70

Note that I'm on a MFB, but you can make the obvious change. Now,
/usr/local/lib/X11/xdm/Xsession.xprompter contains this:

#!/bin/csh
setenv DISPLAY "unix:0"
exec /usr/local/lib/X11/xdm/Xsession >& /tmp/login-msg.$$

this then starts up my login session as if I was coming through via
'xdm', but doesn't leave the xdm process running.

This appears to work very well.