Threads/Lightweight Processes

Fletcher Kittredge fkittred at bbn.com
Fri Jun 7 21:22:52 AEST 1991

In article <59906 at aurs01.UUCP> wmsc at aurs01.uucp (Collins Williams) writes:
>Hi there!
>
>  I'm looking for a package that implements or allows one to implement
>threads or lightweight processes under Ultrix.  What I mean by
>lightweight processes is a group of independently scheduled streams of
>execution each with its own stack but operating in the same address
>space.  If anyone out there knows of the availability of something
>like this or has any pointers I would appreciate hearing from them.
>If this is not a ridiculously frequently asked question and people
>indicate an interest I will eventually post a summary.
>
>    Thanks for your time
>
>  Collins Williams

The Ultrix/OSF-1 merge due out soon will include a native implementation
of POSIX 1003.4b draft 4 threads (commonly called pthreads).  I am using
the developers kit for the above to post this message.  The pthreads
implementation seems solid.

regards,
fletcher

Fletcher Kittredge
BBN Software Products
150 CambridgePark Dr,  Cambridge, MA. 02140
617-873-3465  /  fkittred at bbn.com  /  fkittred at das.harvard.edu