fort vs f77

Frank Wortner frank at croton.nyo.dec.com
Tue Jun 4 04:36:48 AEST 1991

In article <91154.093431STRCC at CUNYVM.BITNET>, STRCC at CUNYVM.BITNET (Stuart Cohnen) writes:

|>Fort was written by MIPS for DEC.  F77 was written by DEC is far
|>faster and has better diagnostics. Version 3.0 is now available.

Actually, Digital never had a product called "fort" on the DECstation/DECsystem
(RISC) line.  "Fort" is the name of the executable image of the VAX FORTRAN
for ULTRIX product.

The current release of DIGTAL's Fortran for RISC is, indeed, 3.0, and it is, indeed,
a very good compiler.  Of course, I'm just a wee bit biased ... ;-)

					Frank