fort vs f77

Jon Allen Boone jb3o+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Thu Jun 6 16:06:18 AEST 1991

frank at croton.nyo.dec.com (Frank Wortner) writes:
> In article <91154.093431STRCC at CUNYVM.BITNET>, STRCC at CUNYVM.BITNET (Stuart Cohnen) w\
> rites:
>
> |>Fort was written by MIPS for DEC.  F77 was written by DEC is far
> |>faster and has better diagnostics. Version 3.0 is now available.
>
> Actually, Digital never had a product called "fort" on the DECstation/DECsystem
> (RISC) line.  "Fort" is the name of the executable image of the VAX FORTRAN
> for ULTRIX product.

  Sorry Frank, but Stuart is correct.  fort is the name of the
complier which MIPS wrote for RISC systems under Ultrix - links were
made to f77 and the fort man page was installed as f77.1 in
/usr/man/man1, but the actual directory and names in /usr/lib/cmplrs
is fort.  Now, if you load MIPS fortran (we'll call it fort) and then
load F77 from DEC, it will change the links for f77 and move the man
page for fort to fort.1 and put IT's man page in f77.1.  You still
need to run another program to change all the library links.  As I
understand it, the 3.10 version of f77 from dec is buggy - but the
MIPS compiler generates faster code, though it might be slower on
compiling!

| "He divines remedies against injuries;   | "Words are drugs."           |
|  he knows how to turn serious accidents  |     -Antero Alli             |
|  to his own advantage; whatever does not |                              |
|  kill him makes him stronger."           | "Culture is for bacteria."   |
|                   - Friedrich Nietzsche  |     - Christopher Hyatt      |