Ultrix 4.2

archerb at kuhub.cc.ukans.edu archerb at kuhub.cc.ukans.edu
Wed Jun 26 00:55:32 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun25.122442.12089 at crl.dec.com>, jg at crl.dec.com (Jim Gettys) writes:
> In article <TROST.91Jun24174840 at brahma.reed.edu>, trost at reed.edu writes:
>>
>>     What is this anal retentive wish to build the MIT server anyway??
>>     DEC's servers are faster, more reliable, and supported!!!!
>>
>> 1) Because I'd rather run X, and not this "DECWindows" thing somebody
>>    dreamed up.  Occassionally we play with DECWindows a bit when we
>>    install a new release of Ultrix.  The server under Ultrix 4.0 was
>>    either painting or scrolling both xterms and emacses improperly,
>>    and every once in a while a moved window would leave behind an
>>    immovable region.  Sorta sounds like a violation of the spec to
>>    me....
>>
>>    (I'd be interested to hear what people know about this problem, by
>>    the way)
>
> DECwindows is only a name for the whole pile of software we provide,
> all based on X.
>
> What does running our X server have to do with DECwindows? You can run
> any/all or none of the applications we provide as you choose...   You seem
> to be tying together things that are by design independent.
>
> 4.2 finally has R4 clients for the MIT apps; the stuff before was antique R3
> clients with plenty of MIT bugs...  I suspect that is what you were seeing
> with xterm; I never had any problems with R4 clients.  As to the "immovable regions";
> that sounds like an out and out server bug; did you report it?

  I have had few problems with the DECwindows session manager, except that
we bought a DECstation largely to run some NCSA programs that are X11R4
and which don't appear to like the Xtm/Xtm2d servers which aren't X11R4
yet.  If the UWS 4.2 pre-release info mentioned that, then I missed it.
I would *love* a version of the Xtm or Xtm2d servers that we could use.

> You don't need to run the DECwindows session manager if you don't want to.

  If I can find someone at DEC that will tell me if the Ultrix DECwindows/Motif
servers will support the PX/PXG cards at X11R4, then we'll just go ahead and
get the developers kit.  I figure they probaby do, but my boss would like
to hear someone say it - the DECDriect folks are nice, but I doubt they have
the answer without asking you either. :-)
  After the past week or so, I do have a much better idea of some of the
issues involved in getting everything working.

> I have no problems with running whatever you want; as I said before, I'll
> try to get the new driver interface bits together later this week (probably
> Friday); I'd like to confirm they still run under R4 (since they've been
> integrated for release as part of R5), and won't have the spare time for
> a few days.
> 				- Jim Gettys
> 				  Digital Equipment Corporation
> 				  Cambridge Research Laboratory

  I'd be happy to alpha/beta test out here, if that would help.  Otherwise,
I'll look forward to seeing it when its released.

    Barry Archer, UMKC Network whosit
    archerb at gawain.umkc.edu         ! Ultrix
    archerb at vax1.umkc.edu           ! VMS
    archerb at sgi.bls.umkc.edu        ! IRIX