Ultrix 4.2

Jim Gettys jg at crl.dec.com
Tue Jun 25 22:24:42 AEST 1991

In article <TROST.91Jun24174840 at brahma.reed.edu>, trost at reed.edu writes:

>     What is this anal retentive wish to build the MIT server anyway??
>     DEC's servers are faster, more reliable, and supported!!!!
>
> 1) Because I'd rather run X, and not this "DECWindows" thing somebody
>    dreamed up.  Occassionally we play with DECWindows a bit when we
>    install a new release of Ultrix.  The server under Ultrix 4.0 was
>    either painting or scrolling both xterms and emacses improperly,
>    and every once in a while a moved window would leave behind an
>    immovable region.  Sorta sounds like a violation of the spec to
>    me....
>
>    (I'd be interested to hear what people know about this problem, by
>    the way)

DECwindows is only a name for the whole pile of software we provide,
all based on X.

What does running our X server have to do with DECwindows? You can run
any/all or none of the applications we provide as you choose...   You seem
to be tying together things that are by design independent.

4.2 finally has R4 clients for the MIT apps; the stuff before was antique R3
clients with plenty of MIT bugs...  I suspect that is what you were seeing
with xterm; I never had any problems with R4 clients.  As to the "immovable regions";
that sounds like an out and out server bug; did you report it?

> 2) Because DEC decided to be obnoxiously cute with some of the
>    software.  You disable the DIGITAL banner on the login screen by
>    setting the correct resource, and the session manager inserts a
>    sleep of several seconds before starting the user's session.  I
>    don't need this kind of sleazy cruft.

You don't need to run the DECwindows session manager if you don't want to.

I have no problems with running whatever you want; as I said before, I'll
try to get the new driver interface bits together later this week (probably
Friday); I'd like to confirm they still run under R4 (since they've been
integrated for release as part of R5), and won't have the spare time for
a few days.
				- Jim Gettys
				  Digital Equipment Corporation
				  Cambridge Research Laboratory