Bell device-independent troff

utzoo!decvax!ucbvax!HEP at CIT-20 utzoo!decvax!ucbvax!HEP at CIT-20
Thu Aug 6 21:49:54 AEST 1981

From: HEP at CIT-20

>From cithep!norman Thu Aug  6 20:42 PDT 1981
It finally occurred to me to ask Rob about the troff rumour I
heard at usenix.  Here's his reply:

{
>From ??? Thu Aug  6 16:29 PDT 1981
>From ikeya!rob Thu Aug  6 09:31 EDT 1981 remote from research
a device-independent troff is the one in use here, and it is being
licensed (which means it will be available, but i don't know the
time scale).  it's the same troff externally, but is much
different inside, and takes a second program - a driver - to
convert the intermediate format to text on a page.

}

The time scale I heard was around the end of summer.
   --------