11/45 expansion

utzoo!decvax!ucbvax!unix-wizards utzoo!decvax!ucbvax!unix-wizards
Thu Aug 20 01:23:33 AEST 1981

>From JNC at MIT-XX Thu Aug 20 01:15:46 1981
	A while back people went on about plug-in boards to put more
memory on an 11. Does anyone know if there is a product that replaces
the KT-11 on an 11/45 which has the same effect (i.e. make a 45 look
like a 70?) I'm not thrilled with Able's way of doing it, although I
must admit it looks like it works pretty well. Several of the groups
at MIT that own 11/45's were talking about building such a board, and
I was wondering if some vendor would save us the trouble, for all the
obvious reasons. Another way to achieve the same end (but which looks
like it won't work) is to replace the backplane and memory management
boards with the ones for an 11/70, but the KB-11 processor in my 45
is of an old vintage, and I'm not sure how compatible they are. (Yes
Virginia, 45's and 70's do have the same CPU, mostly). Are there any
experts out there who can discourse at length on the problems inherent
in either one of these approaches?
		Noel
-------