Why won't uucp dial out?

govern at houxf.UUCP govern at houxf.UUCP
Fri Jul 8 02:07:04 AEST 1983

My problem is now fixed, thanks to advice from Steve Bellovin and
Gary Murakami.  On my 4.1BSD system, I was getting the following
errors:
	$ uucico -r1 -x9 -shouxm
	gdial called
	AERROR - (nr == 4) BAD LINE #exit code -1

The problem was that BSD is more picky about the L-devices file
format than USG is; hence the comment and blank line in the file
wiped it out.  After fixing it, there was a TOO MANY CODES error,
which means that the L-dialcodes file had too many entries.

Fix: either change MAXCODES in /usr/src/cmd/uucp/conn.c to a larger
number (e.g. 100), or use fewer dialcodes.  The default is 30, which
is fine for most users, but too small for the BTL Network Action
distribution.

			Thanks;  Bill Stewart houxm!govern