Reasonable 68K UNIX vendor wanted

HGB%sch-huey-duck at BRL-VGR.ARPA HGB%sch-huey-duck at BRL-VGR.ARPA
Tue Jul 12 13:48:00 AEST 1983

(This message is for my personal information only; no connection with Symbolics
is implied by this message.)

Are there any 68K vendors supplying a UNIX system with the following features?

 - vanilla UNIX-looking with Berkeley extensions; virtual memory interesting, but
not necessary;

 - at least 1 megabyte of main memory, more is desirable; ECC RAM would be nice;

 - at least 15 megabytes of Winchester disk memory (4 Mbit/second or better transfer
rate);

 - Multibus, with at least two slots left over after adding Ethernet board;

 - 4 serial lines with 9600 baud capabilities;

 - parallel printer driver (DMA) would be nice;

 - single box for CPU, power supply and disk, but built-in terminal not necessary;

 - reasonably quiet fan and disk;

 - floating point not necessary; bitmapped graphics not necessary;

-------------------

NOW COME THE HARD REQUIREMENTS:

 - full speed disk controller, capable of reading at least a full track
from the disk directly into main memory without missing revolutions, and
a UNIX swapper/pager that takes advantage of it;

 - full speed serial line capability, which can actually accept a
reasonable number of characters at 9600 baud (256? 1K?) before giving
XOFF, and not lose characters; serial DMA would be nice;

 - autorestart after crash capability; autorestart after power failure
would be nice;

 - built-in CMOS calendar clock with battery backup;

 - memory mapped RAM management with scatter load capability, so that
swap space fragmentation doesn't waste all the RAM and disk memory, and
a UNIX system that takes advantage of it;

I would be interested in what people are "gunna do", but I would be more
interested in those that are already delivering such a box.

Thank you.