info wanted on Gould Concept

henk at dutesta.UUCP henk at dutesta.UUCP
Wed Jul 6 09:06:32 AEST 1983

One of the groups here will shortly be purchasing a new
machine.  Within their needs/budget the obvious choice would
be a VAX-750, but they have had an offer of a Gould Concept,
which is supposed to run about 4 times as fast as a 780.

HOWEVER, although Gould claim to be able to deliver System V
before the end of the year, and virtual memory soon after,
several people have told me that, putting it politely, this
is rather unlikely in view of their knowledge of *NIX.

Can anyone throw more light on this?

The configuration being offered is as follows:

Concept 32/8720 + 2Mb main memory
1  floating-point processor
3  160Mb winchesters
1  32 line terminal controller
1  75ips tape-unit
1  line printer
1  Zeta drum plotter.
System V by the end of the year
Virtual memory capability june '84

Are we passing up the chance of a lifetime if we don't take it
or will we be forever cursed if we do?

Henk Hesselink
...!philabs!mcvax!dutesta!henk
...!decvax!mcvax!dutesta!henk