hello.c benchmark on SUN

Russel Sandberg rusty at crystal.ARPA
Fri Jul 22 01:07:38 AEST 1983

We just got our sun up running Berkeley 4.1c with a
Fujitsu 80 Mbyte disk.  Here are the benchmark results:

	cc hello.c on SUN
	10r 1.1u 2.2s 32%

We also ran the benchmark on some of our vaxes.  Here are those
numbers:

	VAX/780 rp07 disk, dual memory controllers, 4.1bsd
       4r    0.4u    1.4s   45%

	VAX/750 Fujitsu 160, SI 9900 controller, 4.1bsd
       6r    1.0u    1.8s   46%

	VAX/750 Eagle, SI 9900 controller, 4.1c
       6r    1.0u    2.4s   57%

	VAX/730 Fujitsu 160, SI 6600, 4.1c
       12r   2.2u    6.2s   66%

Below is another benchmark that we run on virtual memory systems.
We tried it out on the National 16032 system at USENIX and it
crashed!  Here are some numbers from our machines: (only real
time is given)

780 (4.1bsd): 0:20
750 (4.1bsd): 0:28
750 (4.1c):   0:30
730 (4.1c):   1:02
SUN (4.1c):   8:56      (slow!)
Masscomp:     12:56		note: ran out of memory at 70 (not virtual memory)

If people would run this test (time vmbench) on their own systems
and mail me the results I will post them to the net.

vmbench.c
#include	<signal.h>

main()
{
	int	i, pid;
	char	*a, *malloc();

	pid = getpid();
	if (fork()) {
		/* parent waits for last child signal (for time) */
		pause();
	}
	for (i=0; i<100; i++) {
		a = malloc(10000);
		if (i%10 == 0) printf("%d: a=%x\n", i, a);
		if (fork()) exit(0);
	}
	kill(pid, SIGINT);
}