Distributed UN*X (summary)

Adrian Pell adrian at ru-cs44.UUCP
Fri Jul 22 07:56:32 AEST 1983

Thanks to all the people who replied to my query about Distributed
UN*X work.  Here's a summary of the replies:

From: ucbvax!matt at UCLA-LOCUS (Matthew J. Weinstein)

   There is a group working at University of California, Los Angeles on
   a distributed Unix system (LOCUS).  The system is currently running
   on a CSMA/CD backbone, with two networks of several machines...

   Several papers have appeared in various OS journals in the past few
   years detailing the LOCUS system.  Check IEEE Symposium on Operating
   System Principles this year, there will be a biblio back to the
   previous papers.  The PI's are Drs. Popek and Gray.

From: seismo!presby!burdvax!psuvax!sysred (Ralph Droms)

   I am working (at Penn State University) on a distributed Version 6
   UNIX.  The hardware is a collection of 6 LSI 11/2 (64Kb address
   space, no memory management) CPUs connected by a 1Mbps write-token
   ring.  I expect to allocate some of the CPUs as "kernel" or server
   CPUs (e.g. one for each disk, one for terminals, one for scheduling)
   and the remainder for user processes.

   I am at present investigating the expected throughput of the write
   token ring when used as a channel for inter-processor
   communication.

From: seismo!umcp-cs!fred (Fred Blonder)

   I'm working on designing a distributed Unix for Zmob, a network of
   (eventually 256) Z80s which is partially operational, at the
   University of Maryland.

And finally myself:

I am involved in the development of a network UN*X operating system.
Our prime interests are in the development and extension of such a
concept for use with local intelligent workstations connected to
"major" hosts and other services (file server, etc.) by high-speed
local area nets (in our case, the Cambridge Ring).

I'm quite sure there are other projects in this area (indeed, current
literature seems rife with them), and I'd still be interested in hearing
of futher progress.  I'll summarise if there's a lot.

Thanks very much.

Adrian Pell		({vax135,mcvax}!ukc!ru-cs44!adrian)
Dept of Computer Science
University of Reading
Whiteknights Park
Reading