Berkeley and Unix

powell at decwrl.UUCP powell at decwrl.UUCP
Wed Nov 9 19:50:21 AEST 1983

From: powell (Mike Powell)
I think people who have obtained copies of Berkeley software have gotten
much more than their money's worth, and probably will continue to do so.
Berkeley serves its purpose by generating new ideas and software, not by
answering the phone.  There are an increasing number of companies you can
pay to answer the phone.  Berkeley tries to do its best in distributing
the system, but does not have the steady-state resources to handle quickly
the demands generated by a new release of the system.

As a user of the demand-paged virtual memory that Berkeley people added
to Unix 4 years ago (when hackers were hackers, and VAXes were fast) and
local network software that daily makes my life easier, I can offer nothing
but sympathy for those diehards who are waiting for the "standard" version
of Unix to make it into 1980's.

					Michael L. Powell
					Western Research Lab
					Digital Equipment Corp
					{decvax,ucbvax}!decwrl!powell
					on leave from
  not to brag, but so you'll know ->	Computer Science Division, EECS Dept.
   my allegiance			University of California, Berkeley