csh -n option: what does it do?

Greg Tarsa tarsa at decvax.UUCP
Wed Nov 2 08:10:32 AEST 1983

I am in the process of verifying that csh command line options perform
the way they are described in the documentation.

The csh manual page states that the -n option parses commands but does not
execute them, making it useful in performing syntax checks on csh scripts.
However, my tests seem to show that -n does "nothing".  When combined
with the -x option, all script lines print out--correct or not.  I can
use cat for that!  Command status is no different when a correct script
is run than when a bogus script is run.

Can anyone give me more information as to what the -n option can be used
for?

Please mail replies directly to me.  If there is sufficent interest then
I'll post replies to the net.

Thanks.

Greg Tarsa, DEC UNIX Engineering Group

	decvax!tarsa