4.2bsd at b

Bob Lewis bobl at tekgds.UUCP
Wed Nov 2 07:38:44 AEST 1983

I though the net might be interested in the following quote without
comment from the September issue of the UC Berkeley Computing Services
Newsletter:

	...Computer Facilities and Operations has recently ordered
	two new VAX 11/750s.  ... These VAXes will be installed some
	time during the Fall Semester and will bring the number of
	production UNIX machines up to 14.

		Currently, we are running version 4.1a BSD of the UNIX
	operating system on all our VAXes.  Since the new VAXes will
	be equipped with the newer RA81 disk drives, it is likely that
	we will run Version 4.2 BSD on them because of driver problems
	with 4.1a.  While 4.2 BSD is the system we intend to run on all
	our VAXes in the future, the lengthy upgrade process does not
	allow us to switch over all our systems at once.  It is,
	therefore, likely that we will be running two different	versions
	of UNIX on our VAXes during the fall.  This is more of a systems
	programming problem than a user problem since the user interface
	is quite similar between the two systems (although some of the
	system calls have changed).

Bob Lewis
tektronix!tekgds!bobl