Interprocess Communication: Messages & Monitors

Tom Beres tom at rlgvax.UUCP
Tue Sep 27 01:00:52 AEST 1983

The question was "Why not reset signals to IGNORE rather than DEFAULT?".

The "obvious" answer given ("because there would be no way to stop
runaway programs") is incorrect.  Signal 9 ("Kill", or "DIE, you *##*@, DIE!")
can never be caught or ignored, so there is no way it could ever be reset
to IGNORE, and any runaway process could always be terminated with a
"kill -9" signal.

Perhaps the real answer has to do with catching your own memory faults, or
something along those lines, I haven't thought it out.  Perhaps the real
answer was shortsidedness?

- Tom Beres
{seismo, allegra, mcnc, brl-bmd, we13}!rlgvax!tom