UNIX and DECNET

unix%ames-vmsb at sri-unix.UUCP unix%ames-vmsb at sri-unix.UUCP
Thu Sep 15 10:37:39 AEST 1983

here is what I know about UNIX and DECNET:

There is a company called (I think) IDS in (I think) silicon valley
making a product called "osmosis" which (I think) allows a unix machine
to be a non-routing decnet node.

Symbolics (In palo alto, makers of lisp machines) also have rumors about
UNIX <--> VMS software.  They use Choasnet, I believe.

There are plenty of references to DECNET in BSD4.1c (stubs, and mentions of
files that aren't there).  Does anyone out there know what will be coming
in 4.2 relating to DECNET protocols?

You can always run eunice on a vms vax and then use uucp or rcp some such unix
utility to at least transfer files.  And maybe use rlogin and rsh if wollongong
has them runnning to.

Investigate the software tools mail system, through the software tools users
group.

If anyone has actually had experience using one or more of these products, or
knows of others that allow unix machines to be on a DECNET, please let me
know.  Perhaps summarize and post to this list or info-vax.

Thanks.

Creon Levit
NASA Ames Research Center