Is there a RAM disk for 4.2 BSD ???

mike at BRL-TGR.ARPA mike at BRL-TGR.ARPA
Thu Aug 16 09:27:12 AEST 1984

From:      Mike Muuss <mike at BRL-TGR.ARPA>

BRL has 2 VAX systems with RAM disks, on is a 780, the other a 750,
both running 4.2 BSD.  We use the Dataram BULK MOS product,
which emulates an RF-11 head-per-track disk;  we did the driver
ourselves (it's availible).

Advantages:  No head motion for /tmp

Disadvantages:  The UNIBUS is busy enough without this stuff too.
Transfer rates are generally less than what a MASSBUS device could do.
Given the cost of the bulk mos device, you are better off buying
more moving head disk drives and putting /tmp & some archival stuff
out there (assuming you add MASSBUS disks).

Best,
 -Mike Muuss

(301)-278-6678
  AV  283-6678
  FTS 939-6678

ArpaNet:  Mike @ BRL
UUCP:     ...!{decvax,cbosgd}!brl-bmd!mike
Postal:
  Mike Muuss
  Leader, Advanced Computer Systems Team
  Computer Techniques and Analysis Branch
  Systems Engineering and Concepts Analysis Division
  U.S. Army Ballistic Research Laboratory
  Attn: DRXBR-SECAD (Muuss)
  APG, MD  21005