Mods to Emacs #264 macros.c

chris at umcp-cs.UUCP chris at umcp-cs.UUCP
Thu Aug 30 17:22:30 AEST 1984

Ok, apparently a bunch of people didn't get the other posting, so here
again are mods for Gosling Emacs #264 macros.c to speed up
initialization.

I made these changes quite some time ago so I don't remember precisely
what I did, so be sure to save an unmangled copy of macros.c before
doing anything else.  I think all you have to do is remove the call to
SortMacros, remove the MacrosAreSorted variable, and replace
ScanMap+InitMacros with the code appended to this letter.  However,
it may be that DefMac needs to be modified.  I've extracted the part
of my DefMac that inserts the macro definiton and appended that as well,
but beware of another change I've made: I eliminated the bogus `union'
so the names of the arguments are different.

----from DefMac----
DefMac (name, string, len, keymap, IsMLisp)
char *name, *string;
int len;
struct keymap *keymap;
int IsMLisp;
{
    register int    i;
    register struct BoundName  *p;
    if ((i = FindMac (name)) < 0) {
	register struct BoundName **bp;
	register char **np;
	register struct BoundName **be;
	if (NMacs >= maxmacs) {
	    error ("Too many macro definitions.");
	    return -1;
	}
	np = &MacNames[NMacs];
	bp = &MacBodies[NMacs++];
	be = &MacBodies[i = -i - 1];
	np[1] = 0;		/* sneaky! */
	while (bp > be) {
	    np[0] = np[-1];
	    bp[0] = bp[-1];
	    --np, --bp;
	}
	p = *bp = (struct BoundName *) malloc (sizeof *p);
	p -> b_name = *np = savestr (name);
	p -> b_StepThrough = 0;
    }
----end of piece of DefMac----

----replacement for ScanMap and InitMacros----
static
ScanMap (map)
register struct keymap *map; {
    register struct BoundName *p;
    register c;
    for (c = 0; c < 0200; c++)
	if (p = map -> k_binding[c]) {
	    int     lo = 0,
	            hi = NMacs - 1;
	    register struct BoundName **m;
	    while (lo <= hi) {
		register mid = (lo + hi) >> 1;
		m = &MacBodies[mid];
		if (*m == p)
		    goto SkipIt;
		if (*m > p)
		    hi = mid - 1;
		else
		    lo = mid + 1;
	    }
	    m = &MacBodies[lo];
	    {
		register struct BoundName **j = NewNames++;
		while (j > m) {
		    j[0] = j[-1];
		    j--;
		}
	    }
	    *m = p;
	    NMacs++;
    SkipIt:
	    if (islower (c))
		map -> k_binding[toupper (c)] = p;
	}
}

InitMacros () {
    register int    i;
    register struct BoundName *p;
    defproc (EditMacro, "edit-macro");
    defproc (DefineBufferMacro, "define-buffer-macro");
    NMacs = NewNames - MacBodies;
    QSortA (MacBodies, &MacBodies[NMacs - 1]);
    ScanMap (&GlobalMap);
    ScanMap (&ESCmap);
    ScanMap (&CtlXmap);
    QSortN (MacBodies, &MacBodies[NMacs - 1]);
    for (i = 0; p = MacBodies[i]; i++)
	MacNames[i] = p -> b_name;
}

static
QSortN (l, h)
struct BoundName **l;
register struct BoundName **h;
{
    register struct BoundName **i,
			      **j;
    register char *s1,
		  *s2;
    if ((i = l) >= h)
	return;
    j = h;
partition:
 /* while (strcmp ((*i) -> b_name, (*h) -> b_name) < 0) i++; */
    for (;;) {
	s1 = (*i) -> b_name;
	s2 = (*h) -> b_name;
	while (*s1 == *s2++)
	    if (*s1++ == 0)
		goto out1;
	if (*s1 > *--s2)
	    break;
	i++;
    }
out1:
 /* while (--j > i && strcmp ((*j) -> b_name, (*h) -> b_name) > 0); */
    while (--j > i) {
	s1 = (*j) -> b_name;
	s2 = (*h) -> b_name;
	while (*s1 == *s2++)