brl-vgr Bug Report

brad at bradley.UUCP brad at bradley.UUCP
Sat Dec 1 05:19:00 AEST 1984

Also watch out for tar in doing updates.  My system is 2.9 11/44
and if I run 'tar cv files' then later run 'tar uv morefiles' tar
writes in blocksize of 20(default). Well on my tape drive, you can
only update tar tapes that use /dev/mt0 and are blocked at 512. tar
uses /dev/rmt0 default with 20. The result is that the 'tar uv' is
stuck out on the end with an EOF bewtween the files.  And sometimes
you can not read the second file becuse (at least on my machine)
the EOF seems to be 512 bytes, and the tar gets directory checksum
error.  You have to fudge to get the second file.

I haven't yet fixed it (I think it is a bug), but will shortly.
Am I the only one with a tape drive that can't update large block
tar files?  Tape drive is a Cipher 900X.

Bradley Smith			UUCP: {cepu,ihnp4,noao,uiucdcs}!bradley!brad
Text Processing			ARPA: cepu!bradley!brad at UCLA-LOCUS
Bradley University		PH: (309) 676-7611 Ext. 446
Peoria, IL 61625