4.2bsd eof flag in stdio

bsa at ncoast.UUCP bsa at ncoast.UUCP
Wed Dec 19 06:47:14 AEST 1984

+----------------
| > Here's an excerpt from the 4.2BSD man page for fread, V7 is identical:
| >
| > DIAGNOSTICS
| >      Fread and fwrite return 0 upon end of file or error.
|
| Not just a short count, mind you, but 0.

Which is wrong.  If you request 7 characters and it reads 4 before EOF,
you've either lost 4 characters or gotten 3 garbage characters, depending
on what fread returns and how your program deals with EOF.  Sounds to
me like fread is wrong from square one.

--bsa
--
  Brandon Allbery @ decvax!cwruecmp!ncoast!bsa (..ncoast!tdi1!bsa business)
6504 Chestnut Road, Independence, Ohio 44131   (216) 524-1416