Shared Code under UNIX System V

chris at umcp-cs.UUCP chris at umcp-cs.UUCP
Mon Dec 17 22:52:41 AEST 1984

> I sure wish that there was a system call that would return the full
> path name of the text file of a process.  Perhaps there is?  Any
> kobolds know of any?

Well, I'm no kobold (more of a Sindarin Elf myself) but in the 8th
Edition system, with /proc, you can always use this:

	#include <sys/ioctl.h>

	int
	gettextfd() {
		char buf[12];
		int fd, tfd;
		char *sprintf();

		(void) sprintf(buf, "/proc/%05d", getpid ());
		if ((fd = open(buf, 0)) < 0)
			return (-1);
		tfd = ioctl(fd, PIOCOPENT, 0);	/* is this right? seems
						   like it would be more
						   reasonable to use &tfd */
		(void) close(fd);
		return (tfd);
	}

Thinking about writing /proc for 4.2BSD,
--
(This line accidently left nonblank.)

In-Real-Life: Chris Torek, Univ of MD Comp Sci Dept (301) 454-7690
CSNet:	chris at umcp-cs		ARPA:	chris at maryland