Needed: Labelled tape utility.

David Herron, NPR Lover david at ukma.UUCP
Sun Dec 23 09:34:36 AEST 1984

> From: jmrm%cuedvax at UCL-CS.ARPA
> Subject: Re: Needed: Labelled tape utility.
> Date: Mon, 17-Dec-84 04:35:46 EST

> I have a program which will write ansi standard labelled tapes containing
> ascii data, or in the unformatted record mode any other type of data. It
> would not be unduly difficult to add ascii to ebcdic conversion (I am not
> clear whether this is what you mean by ebcdic binary data) however our
> IBM installation is quite happy to convert ascii to/from ebcdic for ansi
> tapes. We have used this program to transfer text to/from DEC (VMS and
> RSX) and IBM.

Lucky you.  Our computer center seems to enjoy blitzing tapes.  They
also make it unduly DIFFICULT to use their system at all.  At least
that is the way we find it.  So the result was tpcp that was posted
from here a couple weeks ago.  Another result is a program being
written here right now by a couple of graduate students.  It will
do ansi labeled tapes or ibm labeled tapes, both reading and writing.
It does the conversions between ascii and ebcidic.  etc.  Expect it
to be posted with a couple of weeks.  The last time I talked to them
about it they were on the verge of being done with it.  And they were
working on making it work well since we are planning to use this program
quite a bit.  It will enable us to live without our computer center
quite well.