formatting disks and 4.2BSD

Scott Hankerson scottha at azure.UUCP
Wed Dec 5 13:54:17 AEST 1984

In article <248 at cybvax0.UUCP> dbr at cybvax0.UUCP (Douglas Robinson) writes:

>4.2BSD wants the BAD SECTOR information in the MANUFACTURER'S AREA, NOT
>in the SITE AREA where the DEC and EMULEX formatters put them!!!!!!!!!!
>4.2BSD does NOT recognize the information put down by the DEC and EMULEX
>formatters!  You have to print them out using the DEC/EMULEX formatter
>and then enter them by hand via bad144(8).  This little tidbit of
>information appears NOWHERE in the documentation that was distributed to
>us with 4.2BSD!!!

Instead of using the DEC or EMULEX formatter, use the 4.2 formatter.
The 4.2 formatter forwards the bad blocks the correct area for 4.2BSD.
I'm surprised that the DEC formatter doesn't put the bad blocks in the
same place, especially when the place that Berkeley puts them corresponds
to the DEC standard 144.