formatting disks and 4.2BSD

Sid Stuart sid at linus.UUCP
Tue Dec 18 11:59:11 AEST 1984

>In article <248 at cybvax0.UUCP> dbr at cybvax0.UUCP (Douglas Robinson) writes:
>
>4.2BSD wants the BAD SECTOR information in the MANUFACTURER'S AREA, NOT
>in the SITE AREA where the DEC and EMULEX formatters put them!!!!!!!!!!
>4.2BSD does NOT recognize the information put down by the DEC and EMULEX
>formatters!  You have to print them out using the DEC/EMULEX formatter
>and then enter them by hand via bad144(8).  This little tidbit of
>information appears NOWHERE in the documentation that was distributed to
>us with 4.2BSD!!!

	All right guys, I am confused. I formatted my Eagle with
the Emulex formatter when I was running 4.1. I switched over to 4.2
without reformatting my disks and they still work. Has emulex come
out with a new gonzo formatter? Doug, are you sure of the procedure
you used to format the disks? This situation sounds a little bizzare
to me, does anyone have any more in depth information before I spend
a weekend reformatting my eagle just to see what happens? Does
anyone have the source to the formatter? Berkeley seems to have ommited
it on our distribution.

				sid at linus

	doug, I live at 617-271-2839 I would be interested in
finding out more about this.