VM/370 security and performance

rcd at opus.UUCP rcd at opus.UUCP
Wed Dec 19 10:57:16 AEST 1984

> 3) Maybe some system programmers in u-wiz ENJOY working between 2 and 6 AM
> when there's a new version of the system to build, test, and install.  With
> VM, you do your work during the day in parallel with production use of your
> machine.  When the system works, you come in ONE night to put it in the
> production machine and make sure it works there.

True enough for the systems which run UNDER VM.  However, as barry pointed
out later in the same article, the once-simple VM has grown an unfortunate
number of features and enhancements.  SO, this means that you get to come
in between 2 and 6 AM to work on VM.

Don't get me wrong--there's still orders of magnitude difference in size
between VM and the systems that run under it, such as MVS.  You DO get some
of the same benefits of a small kernel that you get (?got?) with UNIX.
--
Dick Dunn	{hao,ucbvax,allegra}!nbires!rcd		(303)444-5710 x3086
   ...Are you making this up as you go along?