How do *you* debug device drivers?

Jack Jansen jack at vu44.UUCP
Sat Dec 29 05:57:28 AEST 1984

[A crash a day keeps the users away]

 After reading the articles about VM/370, I was wondering how the
average unix-wizard debugs his/her device driver(or other kernel mods).

 What I usually do is the most obvious thing: kicking everyone off
the system, loading my new unix, (usually) watching it crash,
and examining either the remains of it, or the real thing in action.

 Since this usually involves awful things like printf's on the console
and lots of booting, I wondered whether there might be anyone out
there who developped a more reasonable way of debugging kernel mods.

Waiting for the great and simple solutions,
--
	Jack Jansen, {seismo|philabs|decvax}!mcvax!vu44!jack
	or				       ...!vu44!htsa!jack