UNIX Sys V, consider it the only game in town

Doug Gwyn <gwyn> gwyn at brl-tgr.ARPA
Sat Dec 29 13:27:09 AEST 1984

> Recently I called ATT Technologies (1-800-828-UNIX).
> They told me that the only upgrade available was to System V Release 2,
> which probably wouldn't run on our 11/70. (He couldn't find
> out).  ...

UNIX System V Release 2.0 runs on PDP-11/70s having fairly standard
peripheral configurations.  There are a few restrictions (no flexnames,
for example) and newer features such as "shl" (shell layers) are not
supported on the PDP-11/70.

One does wonder why the AT&T sales force has such difficulty answering
routine questions like this.