VM/370 Security (and perform

David S. Green dsg at mhuxi.UUCP
Sat Dec 29 04:48:31 AEST 1984

[]
As I recall, CMS stood for Cambridge Monitor System and IBM
re-named it Conversational Monitor System.  I believe it
was developed by some MIT guys who went on to form a company
called NCSS ( now D&B Computing or something ).  CMS was a
"friendly" 1960s timesharing system that runs under VM
(Virtual Machine).  Under VM you can run any operating
system you want, as long as you have the 370 code for
it.  CMS is one option.  CP (Control Program) is also
part of the package as are things like BSPP.

IBM developed VM, CP and enhanced CMS.  VM is a system
control program.  It manages the resources of an IBM
370 type computer in such a way that multiple users
have a functional simulation of a computing system
(a virtual machine) at their disposal.  Note that
VM can run many different OSs concurrently.  CP
executes in a real machine controlling the resources
of that machine.  CP is used to create concurrent
virtual machines.
CMS is a single user OS that can execute in one or more
virtual machines.  CMS is considered to be a timesharing
OS.

Hope that clarifies the discussion.
David S. Green Bell Labs ..mhuxi!dsg 201-564-2000