Driving modems with tip...

John T. Nelson jnelson at trwrba.UUCP
Tue Dec 11 08:10:27 AEST 1984

Subject: Driving modems with tip....
Newsgroups: net.unix-wizards,net.dcom

This is too bizzare to believed!  Apparently my problems have nothing
to do with the type of modem that I am using.  Rather I am getting some
kind of strange intermittent behavior from either the tip software or
perhaps the DEC hardware.

I suspect that tip has problems, but let's see what you think...

The modems connected to my VAX are of the autodial/autoanswer variety.
As autoanswer modems they are flawless and perform like champs.  When I
try to drive them with tip, however, sometimes the modem works.... 90
percent of the time I get nothing on my screen.  Sometimes the modem
echos every other character (which I do not attribute to the modem
since it works fine when connected ONLY to a terminal).  Sometimes I
receive pseudo-garbage.

I've checked every piece of hardware in the loop and reloaded tip from
the distribution tapes... yet still no dice.  I've used different
makes of modems and different cables and used different ports
on my DMF32 to boot (you get 2 full modem control ports on a DMF32).

If the DMF32 were the culprit, wouldn't the autoanswer modems also
produce garbage?  Everything goes to hell when I use tip... that's
the common factor!

					Help... whimper
					- John