System N history correction

BALDWIN mike at whuxl.UUCP
Thu Dec 13 19:31:57 AEST 1984

Geoff at utcs writes:

> Here is a partial list of software found in V7 which is absent in System III
> and probably System V, though I haven't kept track since it became apparent
> that I don't want to run System N.

Here are the things that are in System V Release 2:

> 	at(1): run commands at a later time, due to broken chown(2)
Has an at(1) which has multiple at queues (which run at different
priorities), removal and listing of your at jobs, and a batch command
(which is just at -qb).  BTW, chown(2) works just fine.
> 	grep(1) -y: case-insensitive grep
Grep, egrep, and fgrep have -i for ignore case.
> 	(ld(1): System N ld doesn't understand random libraries)
> 	ranlib(1): convert object archives to random libraries for ld
The archives have symbol tables built in (ar(1) knows about them).  Therefore,
ranlib doesn't need to exist, and ld(1) can handle archives efficiently.
> 	learn(1): CAI about UNIX brand operating systems
Instructional Work Bench (IWB) has the teach program.
> 	sort(1) -T: change temporary directory (undocumented, may be in the code)
Sort rewritten to be faster, has options for size of buffers used
and even sorting by month name (jan < feb < mar ...).  It has -T,
but it's still undocumented (sigh!).
> 	(mv(1): System N mv can't move directories up or down the tree)
But /etc/mvdir will do it (but only superuser can run it!?).
> 	quot(1m): summarise disk use by user
acctdusg(1m) summarises disk use by user.
> 	(tty(4): replaced by USG's arguably better but utterly incompatible one)
So?  Termio(7) is incompatible but much saner.
> 	ms(7): the -ms macros (due to obvious rivalry with -mm)
True (I think mm is better).

Here are the missing, but not missed, things:

> 	look(1): binary search on a sorted file
It's nice for /usr/dict/words, what else?
> 	enroll(1), xsend, xget - secret mail
Secret mail?  Give me a break.
> 	pkon(2), pkoff: packet protocol
Is this necessary at the kernel level?
> 	mpx(2): file multiplexor, replaced only in V8 by stream I/O
You miss mpx(2)?  You're the only one I've met who does.
There are FIFO's, message queues, semaphores and shared memory if you want IPC.

Here are the missing things:

> 	struct(1): convert Fortran to Ratfor
> 	dbm(3x): a simple but effective data base manager
> 	mp(3x): multi-precision integer arithmetic
Not in SVR2; some kind of dbm would be real nice.
> 	lookbib(1): search bibliographic data base, uses dbm(3)
> 	pubindex(1): generate bibliographic index, uses dbm(3)
> 	refer(1): bibliographic troff pre-processor, uses dbm(3)
I don't think the refer system is available.

Just thought I'd clear some things up.
							Michael Baldwin
							AT&T Bell Labs
							harpo!whuxl!mike