Question on 4.2 Performance Article in Usenix Procs.

Cheshire Chuqui chuqui at nsc.UUCP
Mon Dec 3 05:26:54 AEST 1984

In article <55 at tove.UUCP> mark at tove.UUCP (Mark Weiser) writes:

>	D.  They will never be distributed.
>
>The authors of that article were asked from the floor several
>times if they would please post diffs to net.sources or something
>for these changes.  They were indifferent to our pleas.

I wasn't there, but I bet indifferent is an overstatement. I've been able
to look at and evaluate a couple of the fixes they talked about-- inetd and
the namei cache. Both are VERY significant pieces of code, guaranteed to
make your life miserable if you don't know what you are doing when you
install them or if you don't install them right. inetd, as a matter of
fact, requires modifications to a large number of other programs that need
to interface to it. Both of these are really beyond the scope of
net.sources in my mind because of the significance of the hacks required to
get them running. They have all been sent back to Berkeley, and I've seen
systems at Berkeley running them. I've been told that Berkeley is going to
be announcing 4.3 (or at least a new distribution, with or without memory
mapping, with or without remote file systems depending on who's rumors you
listen to) that will have the performance hacks and bug fixes in it.

chuq

--
>From the center of a Plaid pentagram:		Chuq Von Rospach
{cbosgd,decwrl,fortune,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo}!nsc!chuqui  nsc!chuqui at decwrl.ARPA

  ~But you know, monsieur, that as long as she wears the claw of the dragon
  upon her breast you can do nothing-- her soul belongs to me!~