Need info on 160 Mb Winnies

Paul Cantrell paul at masscomp.UUCP
Sat Feb 4 14:52:56 AEST 1984

Well, I'm not quite sure we are talking about the the same drive,
but  I have been running on a Fujitsu m2322K 168.55mb 8inch drive
for a few months now connected to a Xylogics controller  (SMD  on
Multibus), and I'd have to praise the drive. The unit gets a fair
amount of abuse (I work on disk software for the OS  group),  and
it has stood up to it very well, no problems whatsoever. Position
time is  average  20  milliseconds  and  the  raw  data  rate  is
1.2mb/second  which  translates to just about 1.0mb/second actual
user data for us.

Geometry of the drive is a fairly standard  one:  10  heads,  823
cylinders,  and  a  tracksize  of 20,480 bytes. This gives you 32
sectors per track easy, and we actually are squeezing 34  sectors
onto a track.

Almost forgot, it has  an  automatic  head  lock  which  is  very
convenient.

Anyway, they claim a MTBF of 10,000 power-on hours, and  MTTR  of
30  minutes.  Given this particular drive, and all the other Fuji
drives I've used, I'd tend to believe them...