Object-oriented interface to UNIX

KIRK.TYM%office-2 at sri-unix.UUCP KIRK.TYM%office-2 at sri-unix.UUCP
Thu Feb 2 10:27:00 AEST 1984

From:  Kirk Kelley <KIRK.TYM at office-2>

We are working on a first hack at identifying the major classes, sub-classes,
and message patterns (the selectors and arguments of each class), in a standard
object-oriented operating system kernel interface.  It is hoped the OSI will
also invisibly handle operations on remote objects.  The OSI is intended for
software that needs to be maintained across more than one operating system.  We
are doing this for AUGMENT, the windowing, integrated hypertext system spawned
by the original mouse.

I hear there are efforts to define windowing UNIX systems, but I dont know who
is involved nor what efforts for other operating systems may exist.  What do you
think of VisiMachine calls as a standard?  Classcal?  Objective C?  MS-DOS
Windows?   Do you know of any other object-oriented operating systems?

 -- kirk