[Network Services (agent: Marshall Rose) <netser at uci-750a>: the latest HOSTS.TXT]

NIC%sri-nic at sri-unix.UUCP NIC%sri-nic at sri-unix.UUCP
Fri Feb 10 09:10:12 AEST 1984

From:  DDN Reference <NIC at sri-nic>

   1) 28-Jan Network Services (ag the latest HOSTS.TXT
   2)  9-Feb To: netser at UCI-750   Re: the latest HOSTS.TXT

Message 1 -- ************************
Date: 28 Jan 84 13:50:10 PST (Sat)
To: nic at Sri-Nic
Subject: the latest HOSTS.TXT
From: Network Services (agent: Marshall Rose) <netser at uci-750a>

I got the 26-Jan-84 version of HOSTS.TXT and tried to compile it on our
4.2 system using the "htable" program.  The program complained that there
was a syntax error on the line:

HOST : 192.5.23.16 : BRL-ZAP : 68000 : IOS : TCP,UDP :

The reason, I guess, is because the machine type is not a proper name,
since it starts with a numeric.  Can you clarify RFC810 for me?
Can this field of an entry in the HOSTS.TXT file start with a number,
or should it be a name, requiring that it starts with an alpha-character
first?

Thanks,

/mtr

ps: to get around the problem for now, I changed 68000 to M68000.