Speed improvements for troff? HELP! - (nf)

Guy Harris guy at rlgvax.UUCP
Sat Feb 4 17:05:04 AEST 1984

I posted an article earlier mentioning changes to the S3 "nroff" (probably
applicable to the S5 "nroff" as well) which add a VMUNIX compile option which
works like the INCORE compile option, only it still thinks it's being built
for a UNIX system.  Thus, it doesn't use standard I/O or "malloc", and supports
compressed macro packages, which make it run faster.  It also includes some
bug fixes (which, among other things, make it work with the "-me" package) and
a fix so that it doesn't rely on a compiled-in notion of the current timezone
but uses "localtime" to dissect a UNIX time-since-the-epoch value.

I am posting a "diff -c" listing to "net.sources".  (It is being done, in part,
for the benefit of the UNIX System Development Group at Bell Labs - hint, hint,
hint, hint, hint - after all, if System V is eventually going to get
virtual memory, it may come in handy...)

	Guy Harris
	{seismo,ihnp4,allegra}!rlgvax!guy