How do *you* identify terminals?

Dave Legg davel at dciem.UUCP
Wed Feb 15 05:59:22 AEST 1984

xxx
Hmm, our site has a Gandalf PACX data switch, and all terminals (except system
consoles) are wired through it.  We have to rely on setting the TERM in the
users profile, possibly with the option of a question at login time to allow
someone not at his regular terminal to set TERM to something else.  As
yet most of our users are not aware of the uses of TERM, since we run mostly
v7 stuff, but this will change as a VAX 750 comes on line.  If anyone has a
good idea how we can get the systems to determine terminal types without
associating a terminal type with a specific terminal line, I would appreciate
hearing about it.  Thanks in advance.
--
Dave Legg, DCIEM, Toronto, Ont. Canada.    (416) 635-2065
{linus,ihnp4,uw-beaver,floyd}!utcsrgv!dciem!davel