DEC DMF-32

Stephen J. Hartley hartley at uvm-cs.UUCP
Mon Nov 12 00:11:23 AEST 1984

Question:

The dmf32 has 2 modem ports and six other ports.  Our configuration is such
that we turn on all flag bits (0xfc) except for the modem ports.  What
we are debating is whether or not the other 6 ports support DTR.  In other
words if we used all flags off, would UNIX log people out if they turned
their terminal off without logging out.  The DEC hardware manual doesn't
seem to say, according to people here.  Does anybody know?  Thanks.

Replies summarized for the net:
---
Yes, it does have DTR and CXR (sometimes called RLSI). All boards
(dz, dh, dmf,...) that I have used have these signals. It is the
CXR that you need for the auto logout on hangup.
---
The other six ports DO NOT support DTR.  We have not read this anywhere,
but instead have measured it with a voltmeter.
---
I believe the answer is no.  We have several vaxen around here with dmf32s
and without the flags set, you can't log in to begin with.  Because there
is no DTR to detect, open hangs waiting for this non-existent line to become
active (a minor flame -- if they're not going to provide a signal at all
can't they at least make it appear active!).  VMS also couldn't drop the
line (it didn't have such trouble with flags).
---
Sorry, no such luck.  The DMF32 "fakes" the 6 ports without
modem control.  The modem status bits will be there, but never
change.  I think they read "DTR, RTS"
---
--
"If that's true, then I'm the Pope!"		Stephen J. Hartley
USENET:	decvax!dartvax!uvm-gen!uvm-cs!hartley	The University of Vermont