Unix Bugs vs. VMS bugs

Henry Spencer henry at utzoo.UUCP
Wed Nov 21 02:16:41 AEST 1984

>      Several times I have fixed a bug just before someone publishes a fix
> for it on the net.  I find this very agravating. ...

The VMS equivalent of this is that you've been wanting to fix it, so your
users could get some work done, but you couldn't, so you have to sit on
your hands until DEC gets around to fixing it.  Why do you complain about
the ability to fix bugs when *you* need them fixed?

>      In fact, with the amount of time we spend down because the system
> crashed due to some flakey UNIX bug,  I wonder how we get any work done at
> all.

Sounds like somebody -- either you or someone like Berkeley -- has been
doing too much meddling with your UNIX.  Else why would it be down so much?
We run real UNIX (i.e., V7), and the number of times we've crashed in the
last year can be counted on one's fingers.  And most of the times we *do*
crash, it's because of hardware hiccups.
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology