Unix Bugs vs. VMS bugs

Brandon Allbery bsa at ncoast.UUCP
Thu Nov 29 14:43:19 AEST 1984

Ditto.  We run Xenix; the last two crashes we had were fairly recent,
but before that, the last one was about a year ago.  One happened when
a visitor to the site decided to pull the fuse out of the system power
supply while it was running (!); the other was a result of ``meddling
with the unix'' (the latest release of Xenix apparently had a format-
without-erase built into it; it also had a bug whereby if you selected
the option to have system shutdown position the hard disk head(s) over
blank disk space, it'd bash the head against the stop until it broke,
so we tried to switch back to the old Xenix, which couldn't read the
1.3.3 format and promptly barfed all over the i-list).  Other than these,
and a disk error that managed to change an instruction in swap into a
TRAP #2 instruction, causing a panic, we have had NO crashes since about
this time last year.  And the one that happened then was a result of
some bad programming by a local programmer; not a true crash, just that
everyone including the owner was running a very recursive shell script
that would eventually use up all system and user process slots...

Only hacked Unixes have software errors; V7 is great, and Xenix on here
is great for the most part unless they rush the next version in too soon,
as with version 1.3.3 .

--bsa
--
  Brandon Allbery @ North Coast Xenix  |   the.world!ucbvax!decvax!cwruecmp!
6504 Chestnut Road, Independence, Ohio |       {atvax!}ncoast!{tdi1!}bsa