Fast communications

root%bostonu.csnet at CSNET-RELAY.ARPA root%bostonu.csnet at CSNET-RELAY.ARPA
Thu Oct 18 06:45:38 AEST 1984

From:  God <root%bostonu.csnet at CSNET-RELAY.ARPA>

	From unix-wizards-request at BRL-TGR.CSNET Wed Oct 17 02:47:01 1984
	Date: Tue 16 Oct 84 16:18:50-PDT
	From: mark thompson <THOMPSON at USC-ECLC.CSNET>
	Subject: Fast communications
	To: unix-wizards at BRL-VGR.CSNET, info-vax at SRI-KL.CSNET
	Phone: (213) 743-4800
	Via:  csnet-relay; 17 Oct 84 2:23-EDT

	Has anybody hooked a T1 line up to their vax?

	Has anybody got a way to join two ethernets that are seperated by
	about a mile?

	-mark		<thompson at usc-eclc.arpa>
	-------

Boston University is currently running 4.2bsd TCP/IP over
our Ungermann/Bass Broadband (also to VMS/EUNICE/TCP-IP.)
We are getting ethernet-like speeds (FTP of TERMCAP @>200Kb/s eg.)
We are using a locally developed driver based on the 4.2 un driver
which was designed for the old 3Mb baseband.

The initial installation of a broadband system ain't cheap
and is really an organization-wide decision. However,
once done + our software we are able to do high speed service
between any two points on campus (miles.) In addition, we
are installing things like microwave bridges to tie together
our broadband with one at our medical campus (T1'ish) across
town.

Maybe U/B has a 'starter' system?

		-Barry Shein